Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Race for the Cure





On Sunday early in the morning after staying out late the night before at julie's shower.. I met Kelly to do the race for the cure at the starbucks up the street and we drove to Fashion Island where we did the Susan G. Komen Race for the cure for breast cancer. I was racing for my aunt event though she has Ovarian Cancer not breast cancer. I am wearing the shirt and hat my aunt got for me that says "I wear teal for my aunt" teal is the color that represents ovarian cancer. This experience has brought my awareness to how many people cancer effects. I had no idea until Sunday at the cancer walk just how many people are affected by this! I got chills seeing the posters displayed on the palm trees down the path of the walk that had pictures of people who have lost their lives to cancer with notes from their friends/family they left behind. I had never seen so many people in one place in my life (besides at a sporting event). But there was literally thousands of people at this walk on Sunday you can see i tried to take a picture so that you can see just how many people were there. I really wanted to RUN this race but kelly had no desire to do so, and I didn't want to leave her in the dust (ha ha) so I walked it. It was a 5k i think 3.2 miles. There were so many people that unless you started at the very front it would be impossible to run because there is people heel to heel. At every corner they had bands playing live music. This made the walk fun. I was just so amazed to see how many people knew others who were fighting this disease too. Everyone who wore white shirts were there supporting others with breast cancer and everyone in pink shirts were breast cancer survivors. It was neat to see all the survivors and to read on the backs of those supporting the cause the names of those they were supporting. The signs on their backs would read "in celebration of" for those they knew who beat it and it would say "in memory of" for those that did not. There were many people who had lists of like 6 or 7 people on their back of whom they were supporting. I couldn't believe how big this is. They say that the two greatest risks of getting breast cancer is being a woman and getting older. The best way to beat cancer is early detection. It is so important to get regular breast exams. My aunt was lucky to be going into a routine hysterectomy when doctors discovered her ovarian cancer.
Overall I am just at peace knowing we serve such a big and mighty God who is bigger than cancer.
I am grateful for all those that come out to events like this to raise money for more research. It is paying off The advancements in chemo therapy i believe is the reason for their being so many more pink/survivor shirts that I saw on Sunday.
This was my first walk for a cause and it will definitely not be my last. I want to do more. I cant wait to see when the next walk I can enter in.It feels so good to contribute to something that is way bigger than you -something that will help make a difference in the life of people.

No comments: